Friday 28 October 2011

A continuum

When we depart
I’ll know your name by heart
Strange seeds sewn
From despotic dark.
With you I’ve grown, your tonic
Sharp, yet lozenges lips like
The hum of a harp. I’ll ask you why
Hypocrisy numb
Why you sift through your words
Before they come, and bite back down
From thrifty stares, when you hold
Me close, rile through my hair.
Feel my breath unfold
Your fools-gold smile
At the man at your ear
With his love-stained phial.
Lulled lexicon remains to mark my grave
When my every bone blackens
In intrepid ache. For the grasp
Of your hand at the back of neck
Glancing up to the nape and down, down
Again. Checking the keys
Of my teeth – a piano you played back then
For friends in your fleeting facade.
I guess, a flicker meanders incandescent
Its specks
Spat hot from your tongue – centre, front
Right and left. Who belongs there to hold you
My imperious imp – limping through flat-toed
Prom shoes to throw up in the sink.
To whose chest are you moulded?
Like a new chassis of bone
And in our liquid night shadows
Where will you grope home?
To an insipid lunch laid like on a lawn
Fills ambiguous bowls, now arms
Opened in awn. Or will you
Give your notions of sleep unto dawn,
Dine alone.
This once
Unlike late-childhood fibs, tendrils of talk
Press my kiss unto you, your invisible corpse.
Sinews skim your lips, force bubbles
Of dark
And your hue, my love, shines
As bright as a star.
How sadly sublime – the rest of your
Nights, scarred hands span your waist
Nestle into your spine. Wandering,
Wondering, forever your smile
Words pestle, to crush on your teeth
Somehow seize and beguile.
Compiled on your side, all worth
Eased into warmth, hair shortly shorn
Mottled skin sides your jaw. Pursed
White flesh throbs in the mauve of
A bite – the divided love of your day
To the thick of the night. So why
In my dismay did I lunge
For the knife? Plunging iron ore
Right into heart strings
Their disporting chime. Hurting,
Heart-spurting like some territorial
Whore
Grinding and snap, snap, snap
The secretarial snare of our lives
On the floor. Smeared
Into the air like a cadence of flowers
The memoir that we still live, share yet years
Within the same hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment